Saturday 15 June 2013

Tulips, Windmills, Bicycles and Coffee Shops..?

Oh Amsterdam..

Last May, my best friends and I decided to book a ticket to Amsterdam for 4 days. I had heard a lot about the city but I was actually stunned at how STUNNING this city truly is. Of course it is known for its red light district and coffee shops but there is SO much more to this city. My best friends and I didn't want to just do the coffee shop hopping but we wanted to actually spend our time sightseeing and seeing what the city had to offer.






































One thing I loved about Amsterdam are all these canals that run through the whole city. We took a boat and got to go through some of the bigger canals. Also what was so great about them was that on sunny days, you would see families taking their kids out on their little boats and just driving through the canals. Some families even lived on the water which was super cool.





























Bicycles are a must in Amsterdam! I am SO terrible at riding a bicycle (rode into so many people) but I must say it's the best way to see the city since pretty much everyone owns a bicycle. It's nice to be on bikes all day because you really get a feel of how the locals get around. It's also the fastest way as there are paths just for bicycles!





























I didn't actually have the time to visit the Science Center NEMO but the building on the water was very impressive. My friends had the time to go visit and they really enjoyed it saying it was very hands on and there was a lot of new things to learn. It's also the largest Science Center in Holland.





























This picture was actually taken from Anne Frank's House. Sadly I don't have a picture of the actual Anne Frank's House. We wanted to go in and take a look and we arrived at around 9 am and the queue was already so long! I visited Anne Frank;s House when I was about 12 years old and I wish I could have seen it again. Being a History student, I want to take every opportunity to be able to visit famous sites like this. Anne Frank's House is completely renovated on the outside. When you walk in, there's a cafe on the right hand side as well as a gift shop that sells her diary. The house itself is basically just exhibitions of her time there. None of the furniture is there anymore as the Nazis took it away but the secret book shelf is still there in one piece. All the posters and stickers that Anne Frank stuck on the walls are still present. If you're into World War 2 or just appreciate a bit of History, I'd advise you to go there! But book tickets online so you can jump the queue :)

Amsterdam, you still remain my favorite city in Europe and I cannot wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment