Monday 17 June 2013

Ciaaao Roma!

Pasta, Pizza, Italia! 

Italy has got to be one of the most fascinating destinations I've ever been visited. This is PARADISE for anyone that loves/appreciates History. During my trip, I actually visited Capri and Rome but today I'm going to share with you my adventures in Romaaa! So I had visited Italy in the past but never been to Rome till this trip. Rome is wonderful! Everything about this city makes me want to come back. Well I love History so for me this trip was perfect. Everyone's so friendly and the food is just so tasty! Rome is a MUST to visit when traveling to Europe. Also what I loved was walking around the city at night. The only irritating thing was trying to walk in heels through cobble stone streets! We went during July/August and it was REALLY hot so I'd advise to go between May/June (also might have less tourists!). 


























I honestly did not know what to expect when I saw the Trevi Fountain. I had actually seen it in a lot of movies but I really didn't expect it to be a beauty. The whole structure itself struck me by surprise because I had though it to be much bigger and more grand but when seeing it, it was much smaller than my imagination but even more beautiful. We arrived there around 11 am and the place was CROWDED! There were people EVERYWHERE. It was also really difficult to take a picture with hundreds of people trying to do the exact same thing! My sister and I also made a wish and threw pennies into the fountain. If you visit the Trevi Fountain, make sure to go as early as possible and take as many pictures as you can before more people arrive!


























This photo was taken while I was standing on The Spanish Steps (which is something I'd recommend you to do, the view from the top is stunning). This whole street was just flooded with tourist and of course.... Gucci, Prada! We briefly walked down this street and it was full of designer shops and local boutiques. 























Ok so since I was little, I've always really wanted to go to Vatican City (don't ask me why, I have no idea!), so finally I actually got to visit it! It's advised to spend your whole day just touring around because it's SUPER DUPER interesting and there are some great photo opportunities. We woke up early and arrived around 9:30 am so we had the entire day to explore. It's also advised to buy tickets online or at your hotel because then you can avoid the horribly long queue. 






































After getting our tickets, we were led through a huge open space with a beautiful garden and in the garden were LOADS of statues. We had fun taking lots of pictures but then it got super hot so we decided to go in the museum. Basically the Vatican City is made up of like little passages of rooms that all link to one another. One thing you must see when visiting is the Sistine Chapel. You're not allowed to take photos and also you have a limit of time for how long you can actually be in the Chapel but it's SO SO SO beautiful. 


























The piazza in front of the basilica is really nice and SO MASSIVE! It took me ages just to walk around the whole thing. There are some great photo opportunities in the piazza. I really wanted to go into the basilica but the line was about 3 hours long so I'd advise you to take a look at the basilica when you first arrive in Vatican City! 


























The last thing I want is to turn this into a food blog but how can I not talk about food when Italy is famous for its PASTA. In every corner of Rome there's a restaurant which serves pasta and pizza and it's so delicious. I'm more of a pasta person (not really a fan of pizza) so I tried almost all their pastas. My favorite was the Carbonara and their Seafood pasta. 






































So this is possibly my favorite thing in Rome, The Colosseum. As you all know by now, I LOVE HISTORY so this was like heaven for me. I actually spent 5 hours sitting in front of The Colosseum on a bench with a cold beer and a book. I could just stare at this structure for ages and still be fascinated by it. 


























There are tours daily that takes you inside and under the Colosseum. This was really cool because the guides had so much knowledge and it made me feel like I was living in the Roman Empire. In 2011, they opened a new route which takes tourist under the Colosseum and inside tunnels where gladiators would prepare for fights. 


























There is so much more to see in Rome and maybe I'll make another post about it! I had an amazing time exploring this beautiful city and I can't wait to go back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment