Saturday 15 June 2013

Salmon Capital of the World.. Or so they say

I'm not joking when I say that the whole town smells of Salmon.. Welcome to Ketchikan, Alaska! So when I say I travel to exotic places, I REALLY TRAVEL TO EXOTIC PLACES. Last summer, my dad, my sister, my aunt and I went on a week long cruise to Alaska! One of the stops was Ketchikan.


















Ketchikan isn't a huge town but a small fishing village. THEY HAVE THE BEST SALMON IN THE WORLD! Ketchikan, being the 5th largest "city" in Alaska, supplies most of the worlds salmon. When I was walking around the town, there were little tables set up almost at every corner selling salmon products and boy were they tasty! There were salmon cookies, salmon pies, salmon vitamin tablets.. Everything was made out of salmon. It was great! 


























So there's a lot more to this town than just salmon.. We took a sea plane to look at the surroundings and also to spot bears! The scenery is just breath taking. It's so green and untouched. We also got to see several bears which was a nice surprise. Alaska is known for its nature so it's advised to do little excursions around the town to explore! 





























This cute little neighborhood/shopping area was actually found by accident. My sister and I went exploring and we found this! Basically the whole thing is made out of wood and it's floating on stilts by the water. In every house there was something different. There were gift shops, restaurants and even small museums! 


























A sea plane! To be honest with you, this was one of the most terrifying things ever! It was a tiny plane that floated on water and again I'm terrified of heights so it didn't work in my favor! But the flight was AMAZING apart from turbulence! Since these planes are small in size, they can fly really low and it gives you a chance to look at the wildlife and to spot brown bears! We landed by a forest full of bears that were catching fish in the water! It was an incredible site. If you're not afraid of heights and small planes, this is a must!

More blogs to come on Alaska! This is just the first :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment