Saturday 15 June 2013

The Lion City

So I can't do a travel blog without blogging about possibly the best city in the entire world (well to me at least!)

Singapore has been my home for over 20 years and I fall in love with this city over and over again. In my eyes, this city has to be one of the best places in the world. The city has transformed from a kampong to one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world.





























This picture was actually taken from my father's apartment. This is one view I could never ever get sick of! In the background are some of our skyscrapers.





























Ok so I have to talk a little bit about this pool for a while. IT IS POSSIBLY THE GREATEST POOL EVER INVENTED! The Infinity Pool is on top of the hotel Marina Bay Sands. I was so stunned by the beauty of the view! The pool is nothing great but I think what makes it so special is the view. It's so breath taking. Even in the evening/night, the city is lit with beautiful lights and being on top of the infinity pool makes you feel like you're really in the heart of Singapore.






































I'm terrified of heights so I must say this wasn't my favorite thing to do in Singapore BUT it is the largest observation wheel in the world! If you have enough time and not afraid of heights, I'd suggest to take a ride on the Singapore Flyer!





























Another incredible view! On the left is the helix bridge and the famous Marina Bay Sands and the lotus looking structure is the ArtScience Museum. I haven't actually been in the museum yet but I have been told that they have great exhibitions! Walking around this area is also beautiful! Since I live really close by, I walk across the helix bridge and around ArtScience Museum very often. There are some great photo opportunities.





























When visiting Singapore, Chinatown is a must see! Chinatown is a cultural neighborhood that mainly concentrates on the ethnic Chinese population in Singapore. In Chinatown, one can pretty much find anything! There are lots of small souvenir shops everywhere and souvenirs are sold for a reasonable price. Also Chinatown is a great place to find Chinese medicine. One can find some of the strangest but effective remedies for colds, fevers etc. The busiest time of the year is during Chinese New Year. During this period, stalls will be selling oranges, red packets, traditional Chinese New Year cookies and snacks.






































When in Chinatown/Little India, one should definitely get Henna done! Henna is a dye that comes from a plant. Henna tattoos are a Indian custom for weddings, festivals. They look beautiful and wash away in about 2-3 weeks :)
























For all you shopaholics out there, Orchard Road is the place for you! Orchard Road is shopping paradise. You can find everything here! From designer stores to local boutiques, Orchard Road has become one of the best shopping streets in the world!





























Singapore is really a fantastic city and I really think it's one of the must visit cities in Asia!

No comments:

Post a Comment